Sunday, December 30, 2007

A New Thing -- e-books

It seems that e-books get a more enthusiastic reception from students than from the more, hmh, mature persons, but how is it in practice? The teens in our house, otherwise avid readers, spend no time whatsoever on e-books although they seem to spend huge chunks of their lives staring at the screen. And do interactive features change the picture at all -- publishers keep trying but -- ? Informational e-books seem to have some following, if forced sometimes. Are they being purchased at an increasing rate for school libraries?

2 comments:

your Athenaeum Bard said...

I don't know if e-books are readily available in most schools, but I have not been told of any available @ Central or Arlington. I'm sure the librarians there would have told me and showed me how they work from the library's vantage point. But I'd be curious, too, if any of the schools might use them...

--Deanna said...

Good questions, Eeva. The environmentally-friendly side of me applauds anything that would use less paper/trees, but there's just something about having pages to turn that I would miss terribly... Those nights of checking how many pages left 'til the end of the chapter while realizing that the morning alarm will go off in just a few short hours... Ah, bliss. :)

But would today's youth - attached to their computers and cell phones such as they are - read more often if materials were available in electronic format? (Surely someone has written a grant to study this topic, eh?)